Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Easy Recycled Drink Coasters

Summer is here. I can't complain about the heat just yet. We have had a nice June temperature wise. Nothing is better than sitting outside under the shade of a tree listening to the great outdoors. A large glass of sweet tea or lemonade and a current issue of Sew News or Sew World makes for a wonderful afternoon. In order to enjoy the drink and not leave a ring on the table a coaster is always helpful. I was in my sewing studio and did not want to leave a wet ring on my sewing table and I realized I had everything to make an easy coaster and keep my drink from leaving a ring. I had some left over scraps of chevron canvas and some terry cloth baby bibs. My girls are now two and four, so we have several bibs from their baby days that are just a little too stained to give away but still too nice just to throw away. Why not use them as the batting of the coasters? All you will need for your own coasters are some scrap fabric and a few used baby bibs. I used a lid from a jar as my pattern and cut from the fabric two circles. I cut from the baby bib one circle, then I layered the bib fabric between the two fabric circles. I did use temporary spray adhesive to keep the layers from shifting while sewing. I used one of my machine's decorative stitches to complete the project.


Fabric Chevron Canvass

Recycled terrycloth baby bib

Finished coasters
Have fun with the decorative stitches and thread color. I may even do a few with a monogram. Make several for your Fourth of July table. 
Check out Half Baked blog for a Fourth of July giveaway. http://half-bakedbaker.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment