Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Learn Leather Together

Learn Leather Together

For the next couple of blogs I will be showing a leather project. Leather has always scared me. I would window shop the leather store, but was always afraid to make a purchase. Leather will scare me no more! I am ready to broaden my horizon. After all, it is just material and if I miss cut, it is not the end of the project. Some of my favorite projects started with disaster and end with complete success.

I chose a pattern from one of my favorite sewing magazines, SewingWorld.www.sewingworldmagazine.com The bag featured in the magazine is made from fabric so I have had to modify a few steps to accommodate for the leather material. I am fortunate that I live close enough to a leather supplier and was able to feel the leather with my own hands. However, if you do not live there are several online stores to shop with. I have had a good experience with Tandy Leather, www.tandyleatherfactory.com and do recommend them.




I chose a piece the reminds me of burl walnut and thought is would make a cool bag. I then positioned the pattern to get the most desirable pattern and used a very sharp, serrated scissor. The particular pair, I purchased from Famore Cutlery www.famorecutlery.com at the Original Sewing Expo in Duluth, GA. (My sister and I attend yearly. So much fun.) Now chose a lining fabric and cut using the same pattern pieces.  Now 
it is time to start some assembly.

 Next week: Using the right needle and fastener options.



No comments:

Post a Comment